09 August 2007

My first earthquake

Last night at 12:58am, I experienced something truly "Californian" - my first earthquake. According to reports, it registered 4.5 on the Richter scale and was centered in Chatsworth, CA, which is probably about 15 miles north of where I live.

It was an odd sensation - kind of like a really sharp and powerful rumble of thunder, except the room kept shaking and the noise didn't dissipate with distance. It was also kinda cool.

Even though I know earthquakes have the power to cause mass destruction - I would still take the shaking over the ridiculousness of a hurricane. Having survived Frances, Jean and Charlie in the fall of 2004 when I lived in Florida, last nights little rumble in the urban jungle was nothing.

Now, go knock on some wood so I don't get my butt handed to me next time there's a disturbance in the fault.

No comments: