29 May 2008

Life Lessons

I'd love to start out with a really positive comment about my life ... but let's be honest - not gonna happen.

It seems that over the past few weeks I have been hit repeatedly with the "reality" stick and it's not fun. Now, granted, life in general is not meant to always be a barrel of monkeys (although how that could be fun when we know the smell would be outrageous, I have no idea). But I digress ... get used to it ...

I was recently laid off from my job - a job I took because of better pay and benefits and the energy of the company and its employees. I've been there five weeks and as of Friday, I'll be unemployed - like collecting unemployment unemployed. Ah, the joys of corporate America. In the same week, the guy I was seeing decided to end it, because he didn't want a long distance relationship.

See what I mean? Reality stick over the head like an LA police officer with a billy club.

So now, I find myself staring down the barrel of too much time on my hands and unable to muster the energy to get out bed - I still do, I'm just really late. And to top it all off, I am surrounded by glass-is-half-full-just-be-positive-this-is-a-great-time-for-change people who don't seem to quite understand that I'd like to wallow - not forever, just for a bit.

I do believe that things will work out - really. I practically live by the following quote:
"Things will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, it's not the end." Similar to Churchill's - "If you're going through hell, keep going."

Perhaps what this new phase in my life has most illustrated for me is that I do not want to be working for others in a corporate environment. I either want to start my own business or work in TV. Now, why can't I do that?

I know I will need to take a job for the money and the health insurance. I wish I didn't have to, but there you have it. And I'll keep plugging along at my writing projects, keep on keepin' on and hope that this too shall pass.

I just wonder - will it pass like gas or a kidney stone?

No comments: