25 February 2009

New Year's Resolution No. 157 - Blog More

Okay, so I'm notoriously bad at updating my blog. But as my subject line indicates, I'm going to make a concentrated effort in 2009 to blog more. Something tells me this whole Internet thing may actually take off ...

Since I don't have a specific topic in mind for my first post of 2009, let me just touch on a few things that seem to be at the forefront of my thoughts recently.

1. Hugh Jackman and the Academy Awards
Look, the man is an Aussie with a great voice, a great face and a great body. If he wants to turn the Oscars, one of the most under-watched, lowest-rated award telecasts of the year, into a song and dance routine, who are we to complain? His opening montage was hilarious and inspired. It also showcased his exceptional talents as both an actor and performer AND managed to plug his new movie, "X-Men Origins: Wolverine." Come on, that's Hollywood at its finest. And his opening jokes weren't bad either for a guy who's never claimed to be a comedian.

2. The end of "Battlestar Galactica"
I'm writing episode reviews of the last eight episodes of "Battlestar Galactica" and every week as March 20th grows closer, I get just a little sadder. It's a shame that one of the best shows on television--strong in everything including writing, acting, directing--is on its way out. While it's nice that they're getting to finish and wrap things up, I believe the science fiction television landscape, and television in general, will be the poorer for its absence. So say we all.

3. The economy
What can I possibly say about this that hasn't been said by just about everybody? The economy stinks and it's going to take a while to get better. We've just got to strap in and hold on, kids.

4. Social Networking
I finally joined Facebook and LinkedIn and what's more, I joined them both in the same week! I figured if I'm going to embrace Web 2.0, I might as well embrace it with open arms. Don't worry, I'll be posting more about the cultural networking phenomenon at a later time.

5. "Watchmen" The Movie
I'm a little late to the graphic novel world, but I am as giddy as a school girl about the March 6th premiere of "Watchmen." The graphic novel is great, but it's the cast that I'm most excited about: Patrick Wilson, Billy Crudup, Jeffery Dean Morgan ... yeah, you pretty much had me at hello!

All right, I'll be blogging more regularly and hopefully, I figure out a way to get people to read it!

No comments: